Sunday, August 28, 2005

A Wise View on the Death of a Soldier in Battle

Contra the histrionic MSM ballyhooing of Cindy Sheehan's (disgraceful, "lights-camera-action") boo-hooing her son's death in the Iraq War, here is philosophical piece by a World War II vet who says that the death of a soldier in battle is NOT tragic -- it is part of the bargain a soldier makes when he signs up.

(Notice the author pointedly says "he"? I suspect that he -- like me -- is less than pleased by the creeping, pervasive feminization of the US military . . . But, I digress.)

This story is meaningful to me in several ways: First, my son's best friend was killed in Iraq in January. The soldier's father (himself a VietNam vet) said bravely, "He died doing what he loved to do." Second, my son is serving currently in Iraq. I pray daily for his safe return with honor, but this column helps me to remember that my son, also, is doing what he loves to do and that he signed up knowing all the risks. He is, after all, a grown man. Third, this story appeared in a local San Antonio publication.

I also laud the author for daring to cite the following:
Spartan mothers, it is said, told sons to return with their shields or upon them. In other words, death before dishonor.
While such sentiments are lost on the Cindy Sheehans and their seditious MSM cheerleaders, the rest of us need to reflect on these words.

(Hat tip: realclearpolitics.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
# # # # #